Saturday, January 29, 2011

The cost of Adoption

I know a lot of my focus has been on money lately. It's been my biggest stressor. We've applied to three different adoption grants. And we were denied by all three of them. Bummer. We knew God wanted us to do this and we have faith in Him to see us through it. But I was still sweating thinking about how was I going to pay for this. The entire time, I should have been stickin' the bill to God. Yeah, that's an awkward way to say it. Throughout the adoption, I knew we could not afford to stop paying tithe. Here we are, obeying this calling; this is His adoption and we knew we had to do it His way. I've heard testimonies about how God has provided funds, this time it's my testimony.
Mostly due to pride, I've not told anyone how much this adoption costs. If you're standing, sit down, if you’re sitting, lay down. Almost $34,000. Mind you, we didn't have a huge savings account to begin with. Moving to the DC area helped with that. But April had a God given dream and we both have a lot of faith. Just yesterday, we were denied financial help from the third granter. I immediately told April that this is a blessing in disguise. God is going to do this His way. We trusted God with our tithes. There is no other way I can explain $33k over the past 16 months. We're a one income family and the '"one" is from a military E-6 salary.
Until recently, the paperwork & home study fees have been relatively small. Now though, we are in the big money stage: Travel.
I just got our taxes done today. Praise God y'all! With the generous donations from family and friends (I'll call you out after the adoption is complete), refinancing the house and our savings, as of today we only need $1127. I MUST say God has made this possible.
If you still feel God calling you to be a part of our adoption, you most certainly may. First, we need prayer. There is still a 13-14 hour plane ride ahead of us (“Jetlag, nice to meet you, we’re the Coxes”). Two weeks in China, and a 13-14 hour return plane ride with a 2 year old that has only known us for a few days. I beg for your prayers. There is also financially. Our burden has been $34,000, however, hallelujah, the need is only $1127. You can donate at http://aprilcox.chipin.com/bringing-anabelle-home. We also have an adoption t-shirt fundraiser at http://www.adoptionbug.com/coxfam/index.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment